Just when you thought chocolate chip cookies can’t get any better… Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies. Crispy on the outside, soft, and chewy on the inside, with melty pockets of chocolate and toasty sweet toffee in each bite! These are the ultimate cookie!
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 + 1/4 cup all-purpouse flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
To Make the Toffee:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted whisk in the sugar and salt until combined, about 1 minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook the mixture for about 10 minutes or until it reaches 295 to 305 degrees F. Be sure to watch it closely or it can burn. The mixture should be smooth and thoroughly combined.
3. Immediately pour the hot toffee into the prepared baking pan, spreading it into an even layer. Let that cool and harden for about 20 minutes.
4. Place the toffee into a large ziplock bag, seal it, and break the toffee up with a rolling pin.
How to Brown Butter:
1. In a medium saucepan add 1/2 cup butter, cooking that on medium-low until melted. Once the butter is melted turn the heat up to medium. Shortly, your butter should start to bubble and pop. Stir butter constantly. After a while, the butter will turn foamy. Cook until you see it turn caramel brown. To keep your butter from burning, pour it into a glass bowl. Let it cool for 15 minutes.
To Make the Cookies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Brown 1/2 cup of butter.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cooled browned butter with white sugar, packed brown sugar, vanilla extract, and 1 large egg. Whisk until combined. It should have a caramel-like texture.
4. Next, add in your dry ingredients; flour, salt, and baking soda.
5. Mix to combine. Don’t over-mix.
6. To the dough fold in the toffee that we made earlier. chopped semi-sweet chocolate bar, and optionally add in chocolate chips (for some extra chocolatey-ness).
8. Scoop the dough using a large ice cream scoop and place it onto your lined baking sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart.
9. Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden and the center looks slightly under-baked. Halfway through baking, open up the oven and bang the pan a few times to give the cookies a crinkle. Then let them finish baking.
10. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 225