A warm, flavorful and simple soup. This recipe for Zuppa Toscana is the best one out there! It’s so easy, quick, and it’s a lot healthier than most recipes since our’s uses milk instead of cream, giving it the perfect balance.
-6 oz. diced bacon
-1 lb. Italian sausage
-1 medium white onion, chopped
-8 garlic cloves, minced
-1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, washed and chopped
-1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
-1 tsp. dried oregano
-3 1/2 cups chicken broth (2, 14 oz. cans)
-3 cups water
-1 cup milk
-1/2 cup parmesan, grated
-1 bunch kale, chopped (roughly 4 cups)
1. In a large dutch oven over medium high heat, cook 6 oz. diced bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon using a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with a paper towel and save for later. Also discard all the grease from pan.
2. To the pot, add in 1 lb. Italian sausage breaking it up into bite sized pieces, and cook for about 3 minutes until browned.
3. Add in the onion, and garlic stirring occasionally. Cook that for another 3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
4. Add the potatoes to the pot along with the salt, oregano, chicken broth, and water.
5. Cover and let that come to a boil. Once boiling cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are done.
6. Pour in the milk and add in the grated parmesan cheese with the chopped kale. Stir and let that simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Lastly, add in the crisped up bacon and stir to combine.
8. Serve with some parmesan cheese and crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 25 mins.
- Category: Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 365