These Dutch Stroopwafels are made up of a crisp and chewy sugar cookie-like waffle base, sandwiched between a warm cinnamon Homemade Salted Caramel. These are best served over a warm mug of coffee, when the caramel gets gooey, but they are just as good room temperature!
4 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 and 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm milk (80 degrees F.)
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1. To a stand mixer, add all of your ingredients. Flour, butter, sugar, active dry yeast, milk, egg, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Knead that with a dough hook attachment, until it’s fully combined, about 5 minutes. It should look something like cookie dough. Cover with plastic wrap, and let that rest for 45 minutes.
2. Once the dough is done resting, preheat and grease a waffle cone maker or stroopwafel iron. Divide and shape the dough into 40 even balls. Place each dough ball one at a time onto the preheated waffle cone maker, and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until lightly golden. They should be very thin.
3. Immediately, while it’s still hot, cut the stroopwafel with a round cookie cutter. Don’t wait too long, or the stroopwafel will harden, and won’t cut easily!
4. Pipe, or spread the caramel on one of the stroopwafels, and place another stroopwafel over it sandwiching them together.
5. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1-2 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serving Size: 1 stroopwafel
- Calories: 175