These Bavarian Soft Pretzels are perfectly soft, chewy and salty, with a crisp golden crust, and that signature pretzel flavor! This method of making pretzels is super simple, and the dough only takes 30 minutes to rise!
3/4 cup + 2 tsp. warm water (between 100-110 degrees)
2 tsp. brown sugar (or honey)
1 packet or 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup baking soda
1 egg (for egg wash)
flakey salt (for topping pretzels)
1. In a small bowl add 3/4 cup + 2 tsp. warm water (between 100-110 degrees) and 2 tsp. brown sugar mixing until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Then sprinkle in 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast. Let sit for about 5 minutes or until foamy.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook, add 2 cups of bread flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 tsp. kosher salt.
4. Pour in the yeast mixture and 1 Tbsp. melted butter, beat on low speed for about 2 minutes, then increase speed to medium for 5-7 minutes, or until the dough is soft and elastic. If the dough feels dry, add a tsp. of water at a time until the dough is soft and elastic.
5. Transfer to a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, bring a pot of 8 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat, but keep lid on.
7. Remove dough from bowl and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Then divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a long rope, about 20-22 inches long. Twist each rope into the pretzel shape. (Be sure to keep the dough covered so it doesn’t dry out.)
8. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. With the same pot of water we boiled earlier, add in 1/2 cup baking soda, and whisk until dissolved.
10. Place the pretzels into the baking soda water for 1 minute (30 seconds on each side). Then transfer the pretzels to a baking sheet.
11. Brush pretzels with egg wash and let sit for 5 minutes uncovered. Then sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
12. Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until they turn a deep brown color.
13 Let cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 mins.
- Cook Time: 10 mins.
- Category: Savory
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: 1 pretzel
- Calories: 150
Keywords: soft pretzels, germany soft pretzels, bavarian soft pretzels, how to make soft pretzels, soft pretzel recipe