Tiramisu is an iconic Italian dessert that’s no-bake! Delicate ladyfingers dipped in espresso, layered between a silky, oh so creamy, custard made with mascarpone and whipped cream, topped with a dust of cocoa powder. It’s practically perfect for any occasion!
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 3/4 cups espresso or strong coffee
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder + more for dusting on top
22 ladyfingers (savoiardi)
8 oz. marscapone
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Whisk together 4 egg yolks with 1/4 cup of white sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Place the bowl over steam (on a saucepan with simmering water) and cook the egg mixture for about 10 minutes whisking constantly, or until the mixture is lighter in color and thickened. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together 1 and 3/4 cups espresso or strong coffee with 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder. The cocoa powder will not whisk in at first, but keep doing it and eventually, it’ll get combined.
3. Quickly dip each ladyfinger for about 1 1/2 seconds per side. Then transfer it to your 8×8 or 8×10 casserole dish lining them in a single layer. Don’t over-soak the ladyfingers or your cake will collapse.
4. Once the egg mixture is cooled, add in 8 oz. marscapone and beat that until fluffy and combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whip up 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with a 1/4 cup of white sugar and 2 tsp. vanilla extract. Whip until medium-soft peaks.
6. Gently fold the whipped cream mixture into the egg mixture using a spatula just until combined.
7. Spread half of the cream over the lined-up ladyfingers and smooth it out. Repeat the process once more by lining up the ladyfingers, and spreading on the remaining cream. Cover Tiramisu with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
8. The next day, remove the saran wrap and generously dust the top of the Tiramisu with cocoa powder.
Be sure that all of your ingredients are cold or room temperature.
If you don’t have espresso, strong coffee will work!
Optionally, you can add in a few Tbsp. of rum to the espresso mixture.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Resting/Chilling Time: overnight
- Cook Time: 10 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 412