If you’ve heard of Turkish Delight before, chances are you heard or saw it from The Chronicles of Narnia. This pretty candy is sticky, sweet, and coated in powdered sugar!
-4 cups white sugar
-4 1/4 cups water (divided)
-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
-1 1/4 cups cornstarch
-1 tsp. cream of tartar
-1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. red gel food coloring
-1 cup powdered sugar
1. In a saucepan over medium high heat, add in 4 cups of white sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Place in a candy thermometer, and let it come to a boil. Once it reaches 240 degrees, remove from heat.
2. In a separate larger pot, whisk in 2 3/4 cups water, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 1/4 cups cornstarch, and 1 tsp. cream of tartar. At first it will look milky, but after a bit, it thickens up after about 8 minutes. It should look like petroleum jelly.
3. Carefully pour the candy mixture into the cornstarch mixture, and whisk until no lumps.
4. Let that simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, whisking occasionally.
5. Mix in 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. red food gel.
6. Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 9 inch pan lined with saran wrap, that’s also greased.
7. Cover the top fully with more saran wrap, and let it sit out at room temp. overnight.
8. The next day, dust a clean surface with lots of powdered sugar, and very carefully remove the turkish delight from pan.
9. Dust with more powdered sugar, and cut into 81 pieces. Roll each cube in some powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Firming Time: overnight
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 50
Keywords: turkish delight, how to make turkish delight, turkish delight from narnia