Bursting with fresh, juicy Cranberries, and popping with Orange flavor, these Cranberry Orange Scones with Orange Glaze are the Ultimate Holiday Treat!
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
-1 Tbsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/2 cup frozen butter, (1 stick)
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-Zest from 1 orange (about 2 tsp.)
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 heaping cup of cranberries
For egg wash:
-1 tsp. water
-Sparkling Sugar (or coarse sugar)
For Orange Glaze:
-3 tsp. orange juice
-1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed, 1 Tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon.
3. Grate 1/2 cup frozen butter, and add it to the flour mixture. Combine with a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers until pea-sized crumbs. Keep in the fridge while mixing the wet ingredients.
4. Whisk together 2 eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, zest from 1 orange, and 2 tsp. vanilla extract.
5. Pour the liquid mixture into the butter mixture, and add in the cranberries. Stir it all together until roughened.
6. Empty the dough onto a clean floured counter, and work the dough into a disk shape (about 8 inches.)
7. With a bench scraper, cut the disk into 8 even wedges.
8. Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet, making sure there is space in between each one, and lightly brush each scone with the egg wash. And optionally top with a sprinkle of sparkling sugar.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
10. Let cool for 5 minutes before drizzling on the glaze.
To make the glaze:
1. Whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar and 3 tsp. orange juice. Add more orange juice or powdered sugar until you have the desired consistency. Drizzle over scones, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 300
Keywords: scones, how to make scones, orange cranberry scones