These Swedish Cardamom Rolls are sweet, soft, sticky with warm cardamom spice in each bite! Each one is twisted into a braided roll, then drizzled with a homemade cardamom syrup that completes these with a shiny finish.
For Cardamom Dough:
1 cup milk, heated to 110 degrees F
1 packet active dry yeast
1/3 cup white sugar
3 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more to flour surface
1 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, room temp.
For Cardamom Filling:
10 Tbsp. butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
For Cardamom Syrup:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
1 egg, for egg wash
Swedish sugar (for sprinkling on top)
To make the Cardamom Dough:
1. To a bowl, add 1 cup warm milk, 1 packet of active dry yeast, 1 tsp. of the white, and whisk that just until combined. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a mortar and pestle, grind 1 tsp. whole cardamom seeds. To the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment whisk together 3 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, the remaining white sugar, the ground cardamom, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
3. Once the yeast has been activated, add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until a dough comes together, then turn up to medium speed and slowly add in 6 Tbsp. softened cubed butter. Turn up the speed and knead for about 5 minutes. Be sure not to over-knead.
4. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a circle. Place into a large greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
To make the Cardamom Filling:
5. In a bowl beat together 5 Tbsp. softened butter, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp. ground cardamom. Beat that for about 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
Shaping the Rolls:
6. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Once the dough has finished rising, punch it down. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle measuring about 15×20 inches with the long edge facing you.
8. Evenly spread the cardamom butter over the rolled-out dough all the way out to the edges. Fold the half towards the bottom. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough in half, then cut each half in half and keep doing so until you have 16 strips.
9. Cut each strip down the middle leaving it attached to the top. Tie the dough into a knot tucking the ends underneath the roll. Repeat this process with the rest of the strips, placing them on the lined baking sheet.
10. Cover the rolls with a kitchen towel and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
To Make the Cardamom Syrup:
11. While the shaped rolls are rising, in a saucepan over medium-high heat, heat together 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1/2 tsp. whole cardamom seeds. Once the sugar has fully dissolved, set the syrup aside.
Baking the Rolls:
12. Lightly brush the proofed rolls with egg wash and sprinkle the tops with Swedish sugar. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
13. Finally, brush the cooled syrup over the rolls. You can brush them a couple of times to let the syrup soak into them.
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Resting Time: 2 hrs.
- Cook Time: 25 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Swedish
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 250