These sweet little Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes are fluffy, and moist with a soft crumb! They are topped with a silky smooth Whipped Matcha Frosting which makes these irresistible! Make these cupcakes for the ultimate Spring treat!
For the Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. matcha powder
1 + 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, room temp.
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
For the Whipped Matcha Frosting:
1 + 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. matcha powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
2. To a large bowl, sift in 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 Tbsp. matcha powder, 1 + 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Give that a quick whisk, then set it aside.
3. To a separate bowl, add in 2 large room-temperature eggs. Beat the eggs with an electric hand mixer for about 1 minute, until foamy. While still beating, slowly add in 3/4 cups white sugar. Continue beating for about 5 minutes. *you can also use a stand mixer*
4. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredient mixture into the egg-sugar mixture, and beat that until combined. Now add in the other half and beat until fully combined.
5. Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup unsalted butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat that in the microwave, in 30-second increments, just until the butter is melted. Add in 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Whisk that until combined.
6. Add the milk mixture into the matcha-egg mixture, beating with an electric hand mixer until combined.
7. Divide the batter into the lined cupcake pan and bake at 350F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
8. To make the Whipped Matcha Frosting: To a saucepan over medium heat, heat 3/4 cups heavy cream until it starts to simmer. Once it starts simmering, remove it from the heat.
9. Sift in 1 Tbsp. matcha powder and whisk until combined.
10. To a heat-proof bowl, add 1 cup white chocolate chips, and pour the heated matcha heavy cream over the white chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Place the matcha-white chocolate through a sieve to remove any clumps.
11. Cover with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours (or overnight).
12. After the ganache is chilled, with an electric hand mixer, whip it until light and fluffy.
13. In a separate bowl, whip up 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks, then fold it in with the whipped matcha ganache.
14. Now, frost your cooled cupcakes.