Rustic, tender, and buttery soft, this Irish Country Style Apple Cake with Vanilla Custard Sauce is perfect! A slightly dense and warm cake topped with a sweet crumble topping, then baked till golden and topped with a Vanilla Custard Sauce.
For the Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
3/4 cup white sugar
4 large granny smith apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
For The Crumble Topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
6 Tbsp. butter, cold and cubed
1/4 tsp. salt
For Vanilla Custard Sauce:
6 egg yolks
6 Tbsp. white sugar
1 + 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
To Make the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter an 8-inch springform pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.
3. To the dry ingredients add in the very cold cubed butter and break it up with a pastry cutter, or your hands until coarse crumbs. Next, add in the white sugar and chopped apples and mix that in.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix that until combined. The mixture should be very thick.
6. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth it out.
7. To make the crumble topping combine the flour, white sugar, rolled oats, butter, and salt.
8. Spread the crumble topping over the cake batter. Bake the cake for about 1 hr. + 25 mins. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
To Make the Vanilla Custard Sauce:
1. In a large bowl whisk or beat together 6 egg yolks and 6 Tbsp. white sugar for about 5 minutes until it has turned light in color.
2. Microwave or heat your milk in a saucepan until it comes to a boil. Immediately pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and slowly whisk that together until fully combined. Pour the milk mixture into a saucepan and cook that over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until the custard slightly thickens. The custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Finally, mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Serve warm or cold over the apple cake. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 1 hr. + 25 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Irish