Hot Chocolate + Cream Puffs = possibly one of the best Christmas treats! A crispy shell of choux pastry, with a dark chocolate and white chocolate whipped cream filling inside, and lastly topped with a lightly toasted fluffy meringue to complete each and every one of the puffs!
For the Whipped Cream Filling:
5 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
4oz. bar white chocolate, chopped
4oz. bar dark chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Cream Puffs:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup water
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 large room-temp. eggs, plus 1 beaten egg for brushing
For the Meringue Topping:
3 egg whites
1 cup powdered sugar
1. To make the Whipped Cream Filling: Over a double boiler, heat 2 cups of heavy cream, until a rapid simmer. Remove from heat. To a bowl, add in 4oz. bar chopped white chocolate, and to another bowl, add in 4oz. bar chopped dark chocolate. Pour half of the cream over the white chocolate and half over the dark chocolate. Whisk both of those until combined and let that cool in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, whip the remaining 3 cups of heavy cream with 1 tsp. vanilla extract until stiff peaks. Transfer half of the cream to a separate bowl. To half of the cream, fold in the dark chocolate mixture, and to the other half, fold in the white chocolate mixture. Let those cool in the fridge until ready to use.
2. To make the Choux Pastry: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup butter, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately stir in 1 + 1/4 cups flour with a wooden spatula. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, until the mixture pulls away from the sides. Remove from heat, and beat with an electric hand mixer, to let it cool slightly, for about 2 minutes. Add in 4 large room temperature eggs, one at a time, beating until fully incorporated. Once it’s done, the batter should be slightly sticky, smooth, and shiny. Transfer that to a piping bag, fitted with a plain round tip, and pipe into rounds about 1 inch in diameter, and 1/2 inch high. If you get peaks while piping, dip your finger into the water, and smooth out the tops. Brush with egg wash, and right before baking, reduce your oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until lightly golden brown, for about 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to let cool completely.
3. To make the Meringue Topping: To a large bowl, add in 3 egg whites, and beat that with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Now with the mixer still on, slowly add in 1 cup of powdered sugar, and beat until combined.
4. To assemble: Transfer both the dark chocolate and white chocolate cream to a separate piping bag. Take a cooled puff and pipe in the dark chocolate cream halfway full, and fill it all the way with the white chocolate cream. Now, dip it into the meringue, and lastly torch it with a kitchen torch. Repeat with all of the puffs.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Serving Size: 1 cream puff
- Calories: 150