These Classic Vanilla Cupcakes, inspired by 1989 TV are soft, fluffy, and so adorable! A vanilla cupcake, topped with a vanilla whipped cream frosting. They are topped with a white chocolate ‘1989’ and the blue from the frosting is all-natural. These cupcakes never go out of style!
For Vanilla Cupcakes:
1 + 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For Vanilla Whipped Cream Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. blue spirulina powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 + 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
edible blue glitter, for topping
melted white chocolate, for numbers
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with 13 cupcake liners.
2. To a small bowl, add 1 + 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Whisk that until combined, then set aside.
3. To a medium-sized bowl, add 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp. white vinegar, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
4. Whisk that until combined, then add in the dry ingredients. Whisk that once more until your batter is smooth.
5. Evenly scoop the batter into your cupcake liners, and bake at 350F for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
7. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. With an electric hand mixer, beat together 4 oz. softened cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. blue spirulina powder, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. Beat that until combined, then set aside.
8. In a separate bowl, whip up 1 + 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
9. Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture. Fold until fully combined.
10. Now, pipe the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes and sprinkle on some glitter!
11. To make the white chocolate numbers (1989) for topping, melt some white chocolate and pour it into a piping bag. You don’t need a piping tip for this.
12. To a piece of parchment paper, pipe on a 1, 9, 8, and another 9. Place it in the fridge to let it fully harden. Once they are hard, take them off of the parchment paper and place them on your cupcakes!
- Prep Time: 5 mins.
- Cook Time: 15 mins.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 250