St. Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so make these little sugar-coated donuts, stuffed with fluffy strawberry cream! These are warm and soft, and the strawberry cream is sweet, creamy, and full of strawberry flavor! Top these off with a halved strawberry for the cutest donuts ever!
For the Donuts:
1 cup milk, heated to 110 degrees F
1/4 cup + 1 tsp. white sugar, divided
2 and 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 large egg, beaten
8 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar (for coating donuts)
For the Strawberry Cream:
1 + 1/2 tsp. powdered gelatin
3 Tbsp. cold water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large egg yolks
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/2 cup whole milk (heated to 110 degrees F.)
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. To a stand mixer bowl, add in 1 cup of milk, heated to 110 degrees F, 1 tsp. white sugar, and 2 and 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast. Whisk that, and let it sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.
2. Add in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 large egg, beaten, 4 Tbsp. melted butter and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Knead that with a dough hook attachment on low speed for about 2 minutes.
3. Turn up the speed to medium, and knead for 5 minutes, until the dough is soft and elastic. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
4. Transfer the dough to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
5. To make the Strawberry Cream: In a medium bowl, with a hand mixer, beat together 2 large egg yolks, and 2 Tbsp. white sugar until a pale yellow color. Add in the 1/2 cup warm milk to the egg mixture and cook that over a double broiler at medium-low heat, until it reaches 180 degrees F. Meanwhile, to a small bowl, mix together 1 + 1/2 tsp. powdered gelatin, 3 Tbsp. cold water, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Let that sit for one minute. Remove the egg mixture from heat and add in 1/2 cup strawberry jam, and the gelatin mixture. Now, strain the mixture and place in an ice bath in the fridge for 45 minutes. Whip up 1 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks, and fold it into the strawberry mixture.
6. Place the donut dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each one into a round ball. Cover, and let the donuts rise for about 2o minutes.
7. Preheat the air fryer (or oven) to 350 degrees F, and right before baking, spray the donuts with oil spray. Bake the donuts for 6-8 minutes, or until golden and baked through.
8. Once cooked, brush the donuts with the remaining 4 Tbsp. melted butter, and roll them in 1/2 cup white sugar.
9. Place the cream into a piping bag, and fill the donuts.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake/Air Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 250
Keywords: donuts, donuts with strawberry cream, strawberry cream,