Black Forest Cake; Rich, decadent, moist chocolate cake, with a juicy cherry filling, and chocolate whipped cream, between each delightful layer! This has got to be one of our favorite cakes we’ve ever made, and we’re sure you guys are going to love it as well!
For the Chocolate Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
6 Tbsp. dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup hot coffee
For the Cherry Filling:
2 + 1/2 cups halved and pitted cherries
2 Tbsp. cherry syrup
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. white sugar
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease four 6-inch cake tins.
2. To make the Chocolate Cake: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients; 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 6 Tbsp. dutch process cocoa powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Whisk that until combined.
3. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 large egg. Whisk that until combined. (The batter will be thick).
4. To the batter, pour in 1/2 cup of hot coffee and whisk until everything is combined.
5. Transfer the batter to four 6-inch cake tins, (or two 6-inch cake tins) and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let the cakes cool completely while making the cherry filling, and whipped cream. (If using two 6-inch cake pans, cut them in half after baking).
7. To make the Cherry Filling: To a saucepan, add in 2 + 1/2 cups halved and pitted cherries, 1/4 cup water, 2 Tbsp. cherry syrup, 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, and 1 tsp. white sugar. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 6 minutes. Lower the heat, and cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
8. To make the Chocolate Whipped Cream: Beat 2 + 1/2 cups heavy cream until soft peaks. Now add in 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Beat that until combined, and the cream reaches stiff peaks.
9. To Assemble: To your cake stand or serving plate, add on the first cake layer, add and spread some of the cream, and pipe a border of cream around the cake. This will prevent the cherry filling from spreading too far. Repeat with the other two layers. Add on your last cake layer, and frost with the cream! Decorate however you’d like.
10. Slice, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 450