These Homemade Crescent Rolls are soft, fluffy, warm, and so so cute! They are the perfect addition to your Holiday table this year, and definitely an upgrade from basic dinner rolls. They’re so much fun to make, and you guys will LOVE these!
1/3 cup warm water, heated to 110-115 degrees F
2 + 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/3 + 1/4 tsp. white sugar
1 + 1/3 cups whole milk, heated to 110-115 degrees
3/4 cup softened butter, divided
1 large egg, room temp.
1 + 1/2 tsp. salt
4 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
flakey sea salt, for serving
1. To the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 1/3 cup warm water, 2 + 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast, and 1/4 tsp. of white sugar. Let that rise until foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Fit the stand mixer with a whisk attachment and add in the remaining 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 + 1/3 cups whole milk, 5 Tbsp. softened butter, and 1 large egg. Mix that until combined. (The butter won’t be fully combined, but that’s ok.)
3. Add in 2 cups of all-purpose flour, and mix until combined.
4. Now, switch to a dough hook attachment and add in the remaining 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Mix for about 5 minutes, until a soft and elastic dough forms. Your dough will be a bit sticky.
5. Transfer the dough to a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. Punch the dough down, and divide it in 2 portions. Shape both portions into a ball, and roll it out to a circle that measures about 13-14 inches. Spread 2 Tbsp. butter on top, and cut into quarters. Now cut each quarters into 3 wedges and (starting with the wide part) roll it up a croissant like shape. Pinch the edges, so it doesn’t fall apart.
7. Place the rolls onto a lined baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and let it rise for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
8.Bake rolls for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove the rolls from the oven.
9. Melt the remaining 3 Tbsp. butter, and brush on top of the rolls. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
- Prep Time: 30 mins.
- Rise Time: 2 hrs. + 30 mins.
- Cook Time: 15 mins.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 150