This Browned Butter Apple Pie is a timeless Fall dessert and perfect for Thanksgiving! It’s everything you would want in classic apple pie, but even better because we use browned butter, which adds a slight nutty flavor to the pie, making it irresistible!
For the Double Crust:
2 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cold, cubed butter
7 Tbsp. ice cold water
For the Apple Pie:
8 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples
1 + 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
8 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk + 1 Tbsp. water
Raw sugar, for topping the crust with
Vanilla Ice Cream, for topping
1. To make the crust: To a large food processor, add 2 + 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 Tbsp. white sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Pulse that a couple of times until combined. Next, add in 1 cup cold, cubed butter and pulse that until small crumbs form. Add in 7 Tbsp. ice cold water and pulse until the dough is moist. When pressed, it should stick together. Divide the dough into two disks, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. To brown the butter: Cook the butter on medium-low until melted. Once the butter is melted turn the heat up to medium. Shortly, your butter should start to bubble and pop. Stir butter constantly. After a while, the butter will turn foamy. Cook until you see it turn caramel brown. Keep watching it, so it doesn’t burn!
3. To make the filling: To the browned butter, add 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour and cook that, whisking constantly for about 1 minute. Next, add 1/4 cup water, and 1 cup of sugar. Bring that to a boil, then reduce the heat, and let it simmer for about 2 minutes. Once that’s done cooking, remove it from heat.
4. Add 8 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples to a large bowl, 1 + 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 freshly grated nutmeg. Mix that until the apples are fully coated. Add in the sauce and mix that until combined.
5. To a lightly floured surface, roll out the bottom pie crust. Roll it out to a 12-inch diameter and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Add in the apple mixture, and evenly spread it out. Next, roll out the top crust to 11 inches and cut 10 even strips. If you’d like, you can braid some of these like we did! Arrange the lattice on the pie. Place 5 strips on the pie vertically, and fold back 3 strips (every other). place one strip on top of the other 2 strips, and fold the three back. Next, fold the other two back, and repeat the process. Repeat until all the strips are used up, and the lattice pattern is complete! With your hands, crimp the edges of the crust.
6. Make the egg wash, by whisking together 1 egg yolk and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush it on top of the pie crust, and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for 45 minutes. Let it cool for about 45 minutes, and then you’re ready to serve.
7. Top with vanilla ice cream, and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 mins.
- Cook Time: 1 hr.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
Keywords: apple pie, pie, how to make apple pie, homemade apple pie, browned butter